Structure of the organization, including number of staff employed and/or partners
- Structure: 5 departments (and adminsitration) 33 employees and 10 volunteers. 6 Offices: Barcelona, Madrid, Badajoz, Amman, Tunis and Ramallah
- Budget: 1,8 Milion of Euro
- Sources: UN, EU, local administration
-Action: projects, participatory action-research
Through the use of nonviolent action, NOVACT struggles to achieve a society based on human security and nonviolence, as well as a society free of armed conflicts and violence in all its dimensions. Understanding nonviolence as a strategy for transformation, NOVACT aims to contribute to a peaceful, just, and dignified world.
To achieve its aim, NOVACT pursues the following objectives:
To support nonviolent or peaceful civil resistance movements, which work for conflict transformation and/or in situations of injustice, ensuring human security and provision of basic needs, developing rights and freedoms, and promoting societies that can live without fear of violation of their values and rights.
To develop Nonviolent and Civil Operations of Peacekeeping in order to protect vulnerable populations in situations of armed conflict, through the creation of systems for peace-building and conflict prevention, reconciliation and political transition, where local civil society and/or representative institutions demand it.
To observe, to investigate, to facilitate and to support processes of peace building, mediation, peacekeeping and conflict prevention, with special attention to the promotion of the rule of law and improvement of human security.
To use advocacy in order to ensure that governmental, local and international actors work in favor of human security, peace building and democracy in all its dimensions, ensuring equality of treatment and respect for everybody.
- To provide support, training and counseling to nonviolent or peaceful civil resistance movements which work for conflict transformation and human security.
- To develop Nonviolent Civil Operations of Peacekeeping, which protect vulnerable populations in conflict situations, where local civil society and/or representative institutions demand it.
- To promote mechanisms of defense and protection of Human Rights, with special attention to strengthening the rule of law as well as the establishment of civil peace services and early warning systems.
- To promote support and research on nonviolent and civil resistance movements as well as its impact and international effectiveness.
- To promote knowledge, research and training specialized in nonviolence, peace building and peacekeeping as well as nonviolent civil resistance.
- To implement advocacy actions which contribute to the objective that government actors will work for human security, peace and democracy.
- To promote campaigns aiming at raising awareness and critical thinking towards changes necessary to achieve a more peaceful, just and dignified world.
- To coordinate fundraising, both from citizens and from public institutions, to achieve and implement activities mentioned.
- To coordinate trainings and strengthening of networks as well as platforms aiming at achieving the related objectives.
Provide a Euro-mediterranean network with expertise on nonviolent, social transformative education and advocacy
Increase our knowledge on the used topics, as well as increase and consolidate synergies among the diferent partners