SMILO is a cooperation program to support small islands towards sustainable management, th eassociation has 3 full time and one part time employees since 2019, with an average budget of 250.000,00€ per year from public (EU funds, French Facility for Global Environment (FFEM), French Ministry for energy transition, etc.) and private donors (Prince Albert 2 Foundation), supporting concrete actions on the ground, working closely with civil society. Partnerships have been signed with GLISPA and UNESCO-MAB.
SMILO's aim is to carry out projects that actively contribute to a better balance between human development and the management of resources on islands. It operates mainly on small islands (< 150 km2) around the planet using various methods (promoting good practices and innovative solutions, networking and cooperation between peers, technical and institutional support, investments and certification).
The association will help to initiate integrated territorial projects, in collaboration with all stakeholders on the following themes: water, energy, waste, terrestrial and marine biodiversity and ecosystems, landscapes, cultural and socio-economic development and land-use planning.
- Project for the "Sustainable Small Islands Initiative - implementing an international approach for sustainable small island management and biodiversity protection" (French Facility for Global Environment (FFEM))
- The ISOS project (Isole Sostenibili) “Sustainable Islands: network for the sustainable development of islands and heritage preservation” EU Marittimo France-Italy
- Project - Zlarin Island labelling with the support of the French Embassy in Croatia
- Project - International recognition for small islands management, French Water Agency
- Project "Sustainable waste management on small mediterranean islands", Prince Albert 2 Foundation
We trust that SMILO could help strengthen exchanges of expertise, knowledge and best practices in the fied of island development. At the hearth of SMILO's activities we find the voluteers. Synergies in the field of environmental conservation (at land and at sea) and cultural and international exchanges could come to life.
SMILO is an international network of small islands, innovative and inclusive gouvernance is core to our action, so we are working with a wide range of partners, individuals and organisations, public and private, and we which to reach out to more people, to share ideas, build new projects. Joining the ANF would also allow SMILO and its partners to gain visibility.