Our organisation, "4Peace - Verein zur Förderung der politischen Mündigkeit", created in 2006, is trying to empower young people to take active part in shaping their social environment and ensuring democracy and constitutional legality in their countries.
Evelyn Böhmer-Laufer, designs and realizes the peacecamp with its schedule, workshops, goals . Finds partners, and workshop facilitators, communicates with the whole team. Presents peacecamp in a lot of settings. Team supervision. publications, blog, facebook. Evaluation and assessment
Ronaldo Böhmer: administration, PR, arrangements - travel arrangements, location, meals (Ramadan, kasher/halal etc.), location and welcome reception show4peace, arrangements with media, filmfestival etc.).
Lia Böhmer: coordinates the Austrian delegation coming from different schools/places in Austria. Social media, assistance on demand
Dr. Silvio Gutkowski, Psychiatrist and Group Analyst, Jerusalem, Israel: "large group" debates
Dr. Thomas Jung, Austria, Group Analyst: co-facilitator "large group" (first time with us)
Dr. Thomas Stern*, Teacher, Austria: workshop "Talks4peace"
Mag.a. Alexandra Lux*, Teacher, Austria: "Talks4peace"
Mag. Markus Priller*, Historian, Educator, Project Manager : "Talks4peace"
Atheer Ismael, Palestinian Israeli, Student, Peace Activist: "Talks4peace"
Anna Sophie Fritz , Actress: Drama, Music, Percussion, Art and Outdoor workshops
Lukas Hauptfeld, Medical Student , hobby musician: Drama, Music, Percussion, Art and Outdoor Activities. First aid.
Gerald Muthsam: peacecamp film-documentation, posters, flyers - part of peacecamp
Each peacecamp needs a budget of approx. EUR 40,000.
We had/have a number of sponsors and supporters: European Union/Youth in Action, Austrian Ministry for Education, Future Fund of the Republic of Austria, Karl-Kahane-Foundation, etc.
We are striving to
- enhance young people's awareness of the social and political issues of their region and their time
- stimulate a self determined perception and judgement of social reality
- help resist indoctrination and incitement to violence
- train youth in speaking up and expressing their opinion
- offering an occasion to get to know young people from other parts of the world and learn about their society and culture
- help them communicate with people from other countries in a foreign language
- stimulate an attitude of, and appropriate skills for active citizenship
- stimulate reflection on issues of national identity: what it means to be a "European"/A Jewish Israeli/A Palestinian etc.
In 2013, Evelyn Böhmer-Laufer has received the Honorary Cross for Science and the Arts from the Austrian Ministry for Education, the Arts and Culture for ten continuous years of peacecamp work.
The main activities are annual "peacecamps" - multicultural encounters of four different groups of young people. They always involve Palestinian and Jewish Israelis and two European groups - one from Austria plus one from a country behind the former Iron Curtain. So far we had Slovenian and Hungarian groups participating in peacecamps.
peacecamps' main activities are:
- getting-to know the "other's" culture, religion, history, society, nation, social reality, etc.
- learning the narrative of the "other"
- cope with mission impossible challenges
- debating (listening, arguing, speaking up one's mind)
- talking/presenting issues to an audience
- going on stage (giving a speech, a presentation, performing on stage)
- show4peace and welcome reception with speeches, awards and many invited guests (public figures and private persons)
Our experience is based on 12 peacecamps which we have realized since 2004, each new and different from the previous ones in many respects - with a different focus, different workshops, team-members, workshop-leaders and participants each time.
Right now peacecamp no. 13 is in preparation for July 2015.
With our experience in peace related activities and workshops, both for the Middle East as well as for EU countries.
We want to benefit from other projects' experiences.