MIO–ECSDE is a Federation of Mediterranean NGOs for Environment and Development. It cooperates with Governments, International Organizations and other socio–economic partners.
The AGM of the Member Organizations constitutes the basis of the Federation. Its membership numbers 102 from 24 countries. The full and part – time staff, permanent or activity based numbered 9 persons in 2005.
MIO–ECSDE funding: contributions and fees from its members; the Commission of the European Union; the Greek State; UNEP/MAP, the Global Water Partnership, etc. The overall program executed annually by MIO-ECSDE, is on average 550.000 euros.
Mission: To protect the Natural Environment and the Cultural Heritage and the areas of interaction between these two domains, in order to promote sustainable development in the Mediterranean.
Major objectives of MIO-ECSDE are to:
- promote understanding and cooperation among the people of the Mediterranean.
- assist the establishment, strengthening, co-operation and co-ordination of Mediterranean NGOs.
- To promote education and research on Mediterranean issues.
- To raise public awareness on crucial Mediterranean environmental and social issues
The main MIO-ECSDE activities are:
- NGO capacity building (seminars, workshops, etc.)
- Drafting, Promoting and Presenting common NGO policies and positions
- Promoting partnerships
- Raising public awareness, participation and consensus building Research
- Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)
- Promoting the cultural dimension of sustainable development
- Facilitation of Mediterranean stakeholder networks (MEDIES: Mediterranean Education Initiative for Environment & Sustainability, COMJED: Circle of the Mediterranean Journalists for Environment & Sustainable Development, COMPSUD: Circle of the Mediterranean Parliamentarians for Sustainable Development )