The organization has been established in November 2008 to promote dialogue, research and knowledge between Romania and the Baltic and Nordic peoples. For now, the budgetary resources consist of monthly subscriptions of its members, allowances from different Romanian and foreign organizations or private companies in exchange for expertise being envisaged. The organization consists of some 25 members from Romania, Finland, Lithuania, France etc., the majority of whom are Romanian citizens. The association will organize seminars, conferences, publish its own yearly magazine and apply for grants from European institutions. For now, our main partners are the Finnish Embassy to Bucharest, the Lithuanian Embassy to Bucharest and the Romanian - Finnish Chamber for Commerce and Industry.
The aim of The Romanian Association for Baltic and Nordic Studies is the promotion of research activities in the field of Baltic and Bordic studies, the encouragement of knowledge in public benefit regarding this geographical area, including by the means of education, especially of higher education, the cooperation with similar institutions and associations from Romania and abroad, the promotion of the dialogue and cooperation on the axis the Baltic Sea – the Black Sea.
The main projects for the year 2009 are:
- organizing an international conference in September;
- editing the magazine Revista Romana pentru Studii Baltice si Nordice in December;
- participating in the Baltic Conference of Kaunas in June and in Aleksanteri Institute of Helsinki University Conference in October;
- applying for a European FP 7 grant in cooperation with other European universities;
- establishing ourselves as a recognized body in the dialogue between South-Eastern and North-Eastern and Northern Europe.