The Anna Lindh Foundation Prize recognizes new fictional works from Palestine, Egypt and Lebanon
Alexandria, Egypt – 17 January 2011: The Anna Lindh Euro-Mediterranean Foundation has officially announced the winners of its regional children’s literature award “Reading Here, There & Everywhere”. The annual prize aims to encourage and promote the publication of high quality non-translated Arabic children’s books and supporting the process of book production at the national and regional level.
The winners for the latest edition of the Award:
• Ahlam Al Hayawanat | Written and Illustrated by: Walid Taher | Published by: Dar El Shorouk, Egypt.
• Al Ta’a Al Marbouta Tateer | Written by: Ibtissam Barakat and Illustrated by: Housni Radwan | Published by: Tamer Institute for Community Education, Palestine.
• Al Aayn | Written by: Dr. Afaf Tuballah and Illustrated by: Dr. Hanadi Sliet | Published by: Nahdet Mist Publishing Group, Egypt
• Temsaheyya | Written by: Dr. Najla Nasseir Bashour and Illustrated by: Yasmine Nashabah Te’an | Published by: Tala Establishment, Lebanon
• Kitab Al Duhk wa Al Buka’a | Written by: Fatima Sharrafeldine and Illustrated by: Sinan Hallak | Published by: Asala for Publishing and Distribution, Lebanon.
The publishers of each winning title will receive a cash prize of 2000 Euros; the author and illustrator will also each receive a cash prize of 1000 Euros.
In addition, the jury committee decided to award an Honorable Mention to the following:
• Rania Hussein Amin (author/illustrator from Egypt) and Elias Modern Publishing House for the character “Farhana” for the positive characteristics she embodies of independence, intelligence, compassion and resourcefulness
• Alik Arzoumanian (illustrator from Lebanon) and Asala for Publishing and Distribution, Lebanon for distinctive illustrations in the book Jaddati Maana.
• Daniel George (illustrator from Lebanon) and Asala for Publishing and Distribution, Lebanon for distinctive illustrations in the book A’rifu Sirran.
The jury committee was composed of Ms. Youmna Al-Batran, a specialist in children’s literature (Palestine), Dr. George Fikry, artist and university professor (Egypt), and Hala Bizri, librarian and specialist in children’s literature (Lebanon) and chaired by Ms. Shewekar Khalifa, director of cartoon films and series and former president of the Nile Family and Child Channel (Egypt). The jury members evaluated twenty seven eligible titles received from twelve publishers.
The Foundation will organise a public ceremony next March to present the award to representatives of the publishing houses, the authors and illustrators of the winning books and recipients of an Honourable mention.
The “Arab Children Literature Programme” of the Anna Lindh Foundation is a regional programme launched in 2006 with the support of SIDA, and seeks to strengthen the intellectual, social and emotional development of children in the Arab region through developing children literature and promoting reading for pleasure. The programme is being implemented in the five focus countries of the program; Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Palestine and Syria.
For more information on the programme and the winners of the award, please contact:
Telephone: (+203) 483 444 7
Mobile: (+20) 10 855 74 99
Programme Website: www.arabchildrensliterature.com
ALF Website: www.euromedalex.org