- Democracy and community development
- Environment/Sustainable development
We are an open, progressive and dynamically growing academic department within the Faculty of Science. We provide education opportunities and conduct research in the areas of development studies, environmental studies and foresight.
We strive to inspire our students, professionals and the public and thus contribute to the sustainable development of civil society. We support the personal growth and future employability of our students by focusing on their individuality and strengths as well as on international cooperation opportunities.
- teaching - development and environmental studies
- research in the area of development and environmental studies, esp.
• Pro-poor growth and inequality
• Aid effectivness
• Development and environmental indicators
• Land use and ecosystem services
• Applying Landscape Ecology in Biological Conservation, especially in the frame of Forest Ecosystems
For the research orientation of individual researchers, please see the profiles of department members (participatory mapping in community development; sport and development; evaluation of development and peace-building interventions etc.)
- publishing of Encyclopaedia of Development Studies
- 20 years history of organisation of the Summer School on Development Cooperation (http://www.development.upol.cz/english/projects-2/summer-school/)
- organisation of conferences (e.g. „Searching for Sustainable Living – Different Approaches, Shared Vision“ in October 2015 in cooperation with EADI)
- field-trips for students to development related institutions and to the target regions of the development cooperation
- "Missing Maps" - organisation of "mapatons" (creation of maps in developing regions in cooperation with Médecins Sans Frontières)
-simulations for students on negotiation and conflict resolution (in cooperation with Partners for Democratic Change Slovakia); on conflict sensitive development
- provide academic expertise in the areas of our research and teaching focus
- help to host events
- creating partnerships for common research projects
- exchange of best practices in education
- create partnerships and new opportunities for knowledge exchange
- create partnerships and new opportunities for students to enhance their interpersonal and intercultural capacities and gain new hand on experience together with their counterparts from different areas of the world