AWP aims to empower women and youth. “A Woman in Power” is an Organization founded in Albania, considered as a non-governmental Association, independent of political parties and other Organizations of a political nature, but opened for any kind of cooperation that does not affect its mission and that would serve to achieve the similar goals that aimed creasing the quality of community life. It is also opened to accept all individuals who wish to join initiatives which raise awareness and foster a greater engagement of women in society mostly by searching and creating new opportunities for women and youth. AWP is also focused on research projects, awareness and training programs in educational, economic, cultural, and any other sector that enhance the vocational training of young generation.
AWP is founded by five members and its excecutive board is made up by:
1-Vjola Thoma , Excecutive Director
2-Ermira Oga, Secretary General
3- Aldiona Kerri, Head of Human Resources
4-Migena Muslli, Entrepreneurship Expert
5-Borana Resulaj, Project Coordinator
6-Denisa Ymeraj, Research Expert
7- Sidorela Lepuri, Journalist
All the members of the organization are volunteers, none of them is paid. Currently, the organization has in total 50 volunteers.We have already had several Partners such as: University of Tirana, European University of Tirana.
AWP has functioned without any grant, until now. All the projects have been funded by the members themselves.
The main partners of the organization have been: United Nations Albania, Down Syndrome Albania, Intelectual Property Expert Association, Foundation for Economic Freedom.
Our main Objectives are:
1. To strike for gender equality and raising awareness for youth generation, girls and boys not only in Albania but in any country where youngers wants to make a change.
2. Advocating for AWP ambassadors, change makers and agents to support our mission on implementing different kind of projects, as Campaigns, EVS, Start-ups, and Training courses.
3. To initiate cooperation with experts, non-for-profits, Companies, Institutions in order to educate youth and women in the different areas.
4. To provide Education Facilities and Training in a way to improve the skills and capacity of learning throw these methods: E-Learning and Lifelong Learning process using Advantaged Tech. & Managerial Trainings.
5. Supporting and developing Campaigns, Educational Research & Statistics that effect pressing of our society.
6. Raising Awareness, inform and educate youth and especially women about Health care in general and import/sensitive issues.
7. Strengthening civil society through youth engagement and volunteering process.
8. Encouraging youth and women to become involved in information and Communication area (ICT) by implementing new projects on entrepreneurship sector.
9. Achieving peace through youth activism in the Balkans as a tool to also connect youth to each other and opened to any cultural exchange worldwide.
10. Connecting post conflicts countries through the usage of arts and non formal educational activities.
11. Implementing youth awards activities as an empowerment and recognition tool for activism.
12. Establishing online youth network to advance and facilitate cooperation plus by supporting research in any important area, who is strongly connected with young generation development.
13. Engaging Organizations led by man to contribute towards the improvement of women role in society.
14. To be able to reduce as far as can professional discrimination of women, especially those category who are in the first steps of their career.
15. To put in evidence, supports, encourages women entrepreneurs, Albanian and foreign founding everywhere are in their operations and making efforts for the realization of their programs.
16. And to be able to train and certificate in the field of leadership and beyond, in the field of research project, start up-s and incentive events.
As we aspire to expand more in the Balkans, we consider it important to collaborate with organizations abroad!
Breaking Stereotypes is a three day Training Course initiated by AWP in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture of Albania.During our interaction with young people and not only, we have identified the urgent need for a reconnection with history, good traditions and our roots for the preservation of the so-called “national character” which differs a lot from the impact that Albanians have in the international arena. The participants need to understand that the fight is not about the creation of a positive stereotype, but about awareness and understanding the reality. Since the stereotyping group has no direct interest on breaking these stereotypes we need to offer them a ready-platform that reflects the truth and that is easily absorbed by the mass. We intend to raise awareness and not raise national feelings! This is achieved through the right education on our cultural heritage and the presentation of Albania as the civilized country that has always been. We inherited our identity, so we better not forget the core of it! The overall objectives of the project are:
1. Getting to know the problems of the Albanians in the countries where they have consolidated their living.
2. To share experiences between young Albanians living at home and abroad.
3. To educate the participants on the values of our country for a better presentation in the international arena.
4. To identify the different forms of stereotyping / prejudice that they have experienced, or have caused and determine the best way that can affect for the best the situation. 6. Project a platform through the use of social media that raises awareness and is easily absorbed.
2-Albania's Next Leader
Albania’s Next leader is a program designed to identify the potential individuals in Albania youth environment. The program is shaped like a platform, in which candidates for the prize will have also some other benefits. The accepted applicants will be tested in different fields. They need to pass them successfully in order to become part of subsequent activities. The entire Program of Albania’s Next Leader is designed as a package of five Activities in total. ANL’s first condition is the Collaboration with an Organisation, Institution or a University, as an important part of the Program.
In the framework of Entrepreneurship Week AWP in collaboration with University of Tirana and GOA(Global Opportunities Albania) organized the event "Entrepreneur Women’s Day". In the event were invited three important CEO and in the same time the creators of the company:
Alketa Zyfi-CEO at 'Yougurteria Tirana'
Elida Motro-CEO at 'EMI Coaching and Consulting'
Antonela Hako-CEO at 'HAKO Company'
During the Event was organized a workshop by giving the participants 3 case studies from these companies and they analyzed some crucial elements according to the entire show!
4-Albania Book Club
5-What stops women?
“What Stops Women” is an event created to promote the research study entitled “Factors of Women success in Albania and Macedonia”. The Founder of ” A Woman in Power ” in Albania, Ms.Viola Thoma in collaboration with Ms.Emilia Poposka Director of “Alumni Affairs at Preparing Global Leaders Institute” in Macedonia conduct an intensive research and decided to present the study in both countries .
In Albania the promoting activity was held in the Gold Room at the Hotel Doro City. The event was divided into two phases:
The first part of the event was a conference held by a panel consisting of professionals of the Field.
Monika Stafa ( Top Channel Journalist and Researcher )
Edlira Cepani (Director of the Largest Network of Women in Decision making)
Erion Kristo (Professor and author of “Black and White” book)
Albana Laknori (Representative of Tirana Chamber of Commerce)
Laura Vorpsi (Professor and spokesperson of the Democratic Party)
Flutura Xhabija (Founder of the Association “Women in Business and Crafts”)
The second part of the event was organized in form of a workshop and presentation of new projects coming from the Civil Society, a very large number of leaders and representatives of organizations presented their ideas and upcoming projects. The last phase was about thanking and symbolic gifts were distributed to the participants. This study is now being expanded not only for women in Macedonia and Albania but also in other Balkan countries.A WOMAN IN POWER is a newly founded NGO in Albania, and our staff is under the age of 30 yo. That is the main reason why we are looking for networks which would like to share experiences and collaborate with youth key agents beloning the developing countries such as Albania. The organization is also looking forward to empower itself, in order to better serve to the community. All the members of A Woman in Power have been trained internationally mainly in the field of leadership, but we are now trying to put all that knowledge in practice. In addition, AWP is aiming to become more focused to the sensitive isssues Albania is having. We believe that the ALF Network will shape the future of our activities in Albania.
AWP is constantly engaging initiatives to empower youth and women. As mentioned above, we have already been partners with different national and international organization. We are opend to any initiative aiming to develop the local community we are working with in matteres of educating women and youth. We want to contribute as much as we can in this network, and not only to be a simple member but to be an important tool for the general developening.
A WOMAN IN POWER is a newly founded NGO in Albania, and our staff is under the age of 30 yo. That is the main reason why we are looking for networks which would like to share experiences and collaborate with youth key agents beloning the developing countries such as Albania. The organization is also looking forward to empower itself, in order to better serve to the community. All the members of A Woman in Power have been trained internationally mainly in the field of leadership, but we are now trying to put all that knowledge in practice. In addition, AWP is aiming to become more focused to the sensitive isssues Albania is having. We believe that the ALF Network will shape the future of our activities in Albania.