The third Online Euro-Med Debate Competition, will take place on 22, 23, 29 and 30 August 2020. It will bring together debate teams from diverse backgrounds and students from higher education institutions to meet online and debate international trending topics of their choice. Read steps below on how to get involved and register before 19 July, 2020.
What is it about?
In the framework of the European Commission’s project Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange and building up on the successful previous editions in August 2019 and April 2020, the third Online Euro-Med Debate Competition brings together debate teams from Europe and the Southern Mediterranean region. The Competition will be supported by a resource network of debate Team Leaders, Trainers, Adjudicators and Master Trainers. The competition’s dialectical debates will be framed around the current regional and international events such as: the pandemic and post-pandemic issues, online learning, regional security, climate change, human rights, democracy and more.
On 22, 23, 29 and 30 August 2020, participants in the competition will be engaged in intercultural online debates, and will practice the essentials of effective communication, building arguments, listening and rebutting, structuring and presenting of speeches, intercultural awareness, and will be able to enhance their English language skills. Rewards? All Team Leaders and Debaters will be awarded an Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange Online Badge, certifying the skills that they acquire by participating in the competition debates. Profile of participants: Participation in the third Online Euro-Med Debate Competition is open to Debate Team Leaders from the Euro-Med region and their local teams.
To participate with your team in the competition, you should fulfil the following criteria:
● Aged between 18-30 years old and national or resident in one of the eligible countries of the project
● Proven experience as a debater, debate team leader or debate trainer
● Interest in contemporary Euro-Mediterranean issues
● Good English speaking skills
● Ability to train and lead a local debate team
*In case you have already participated previously in the activity as Debater or Team Leader:
● Ability to train and engage a new team in the August 2020 Competition
Steps to join the Online Euro-Med Debate Competition 2020
If you did NOT participate previously in an Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange Debate Team Leaders Training:
1. Register by 19 July 2020 to join the Training and select “English” and then “Competition” as your cycle. Select one of the available training sessions
2. After completing your Team Leaders Training session, you will be expected to train your team of 6 debaters
3. You will be contacted to register your Team members in the Online Euro-Med Debate Competition by 12 August 2020
If you already are a certified debater or a trained team Leader in the frame of Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange, or you already have an account on the Exchange Portal:
1. Please express your interest to join the competition with your team by 19 July 2020
2. In case you did not establish a new team yet; ensure your local training before 14 August 2020
3. You will be contacted to register your Team in the Online Euro-Med Debate Competition by 12 August 2020
The Online Euro-Med Debate Competition is organised by the Anna Lindh Foundation, member of the Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange consortium, composed by: Search for Common Ground, UNIMED, Sharing Perspectives Foundation, Soliya, UNICollaboration, Kiron Open Higher Education, and Migration Matters.
Erasmus+ Virtual Exchange is part of the Erasmus+ programme, providing an accessible, ground-breaking way for young people to engage in intercultural learning. Working with Youth Organisations and Universities, the project is open to any young person aged 18-30 national or resident in Europe and the Southern Mediterranean.