56 MERAMVELOU STR.
- Human rights
- International/Cultural relations
- The improvement of Women’s role in the Society,
- The prominence of mother’s role in the family,
- The support for equal rights and the social civilization.
- the provision of social services to women in vulnurable position
- the promotion of gender equality in Crete
Our Union is active all over Crete.
The main projects we run are:
1. “Violence through Children’s Eyes” performed in the Municipality of Heraklion. Promotion of gender issues to schools
2. “Mediation in the Family for the Repression of Violence” performed in the Municipality of Gazi
3. “Mediation in the Family for the Repression of Violence” performed in the Municipality of Moires
4. “Confrontation Centre of Cultural Differences in Primary Education” performed in the Municipality of Heraklion
• “Live Again”- Action 1.8/09 “Informative Campaign aiming to the awareness raising of public and also women-citizen from third countries’ on information provision, regarding the confrontation of trafficking, intra-familial violence and sexual harassment”, co-funded from the European Fund by 75% and by 25% from National Funds. (Completed)
• GRUNDTVIG- CERTAINLY MOM: Parenting support to women victims of domestic violence, aims at creating a European network for exchange, training, information and constant collaboration on the topic of parenting support to women victims of domestic violence and, in particular, on the support activities addressed to migrant women. The overall aim of the project actions is to help the beneficiaries to enhance, acquire or re-acquire their parenting skills (Ongoing)
• “Commun-AID-Increasing the capacity of domestic workers of different origins to respond to sexual violence through community-based interventions” funded by European Commission under the DAPHNE III program, whose overall aim is to increase the capacity of migrant domestic workers to respond to sexual violence through developing and testing community-based interventions (Ongoing)
• “Social Structures Addressing Poverty in the Municipality of Heraklion”, which aims at the strengthening and social inclusion of socially vulnerable groups and especially of homeless people or people experiencing poverty, through psychosocial support and information activities from collaborating social entities (Ongoing)
• “Local Cooperation for Social Integration”, Development Partnership “Social Net”, aiming at the effective integration of 100 people of vulnerably socially groups in work, on the basis of their own needs and the needs of the local labor market intervention area (Ongoing)
the management of the SHELTER for abused women - victims of domestic violence.
the development of the HOUSE for abandoned children (0-6)
Actions/ Mediations in Cultural Level:
• Each year on November 25th we organize an exhibition or publication in the local press against the violence towards women in cooperation with other institution or citizen.
• Moreover, we organize exhibitions for Woman’s and Mother’s World Days.
• According to the importance of incidents, we often address letters to the Ministries of Justice, Health, Employment, the General Secretariat of Gender Equality and other institutions questioning, proposing, demanding answers and changes.
• We have organized the presentation of books relevant with violence or other issues touching women or civilization.
The Union has Administrative Council and is comprised of 70 Members and mobilizes over of 100 volunteers.
Our organisation can act as a focal point of the National ALF network in the area of Crete, by providing information, needs and evaluation assessments for the area and promoting cooperation with other NGOs that are active in the fields of human rights in Greece. In addition, our organisation has the capacity to provide expertise and staff for mutual training, exchange of good practices in the fields of advocacy and women's rights, joint actions with simlar NGOs. Finally, our Association can act as an agent of the Network on issues of gender equality and women's rights in cases of transnational joint initiatives.
The main grounds of our participation to the network is the promotion of gender issues to third countries, cooperate with similar women NGO's and promote ALF spirit in Crete.